Our Commitment to Privacy
This policy applies to RiverCity Safety Training & Consulting and Canadaboatsafety.com.
Protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information is an important aspect of the way RiverCity Safety conducts its business. Collecting, using, and disclosing personal information in an appropriate, responsible, and ethical manner is fundamental to RiverCity Safety’s daily operations.
RiverCity Safety strives to protect and respect personal information of its customers, employees, business partners, and so on in accordance with all applicable regional and federal laws. Each staff member of RiverCity Safety must abide by this organization’s procedures and practices when handling personal information.
Personal information is defined as any identifying information about an individual or group of individuals, including name, date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail address, social insurance/security number, nationality, gender, health history, financial data, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, assets, debts, liabilities, payment records, credit records, loan records, opinions, and personal views.
Business information is defined as business name, business address, business telephone number, name(s) of owner(s), executive officer(s), and director(s), job titles, business registration numbers, and financial status. Business information is treated and handled with the same level of confidentiality, privacy, and respect as personal information.
Consent occurs and is obtained when an individual completes an online application or other form containing personal information, thereby authorizing RiverCity Safety to collect, use, and disclose the individual’s personal information for the purposes stated on the form or in the Appropriate Use section of this policy.
- Implied consent is granted by the individual when he/she completes the online application or paper test answer sheet. This allows the client to access and write the Transport Canada Boating Safety Test and allows RiverCity Safety to upload clients’ personal information into Transport Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Database System (PCODS).
RiverCity Safety collects and uses personal information solely for the purpose of conducting business, developing an understanding of its customers and uploading information to the Transport Canada PCODS. RiverCity Safety hereby asserts that personal information will only be used for the following purposes:
- Application for the Pleasure Craft Operator Card study course and Transport Canada Boating Safety Test.
- Accept payment for services related to the Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
- Permit client access to Transport Canada Boating Safety Test site or paper based tests.
- Upload information into the Transport Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Card Database System.
- RiverCity Safety assumes full accountability for the personal information within its possession and control. This organization has appointed Daryl Nielsen as custodian of all privacy matters and legal compliance with privacy laws.
- RiverCity Safety obtains personal information directly from the individual to which the information belongs. Individuals are entitled to know how RiverCity Safety uses personal information and this organization will limit the use of any personal information collected only to what is needed for those stated purposes. RiverCity Safety will obtain individual consent if personal information is to be used for any other purpose. RiverCity Safety will not use that information without the consent of the individual.
- RiverCity Safety will retain personal information only for the duration it is needed for conducting business and in conjunction with Transport Canada requirements. Once personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed in a safe and secure manner. However, certain laws may require that certain personal information be kept for a specified amount of time. Where this is the case, the law will supersede this policy.
- RiverCity Safety vows to protect personal information with the appropriate security
measures, physical safeguards, and electronic precautions. RiverCity Safety maintains
personal information through a combination of paper and electronic files. Where required by
law or disaster recovery/business continuity policies, older records may be stored in a
secure, offsite location.
- Access to personal information will be authorized only for the employees and other agents of RiverCity Safety who require the information to perform their job duties, and to those otherwise authorized by law.
- RiverCity Safety’s computer and network systems are secured by complex passwords. Only authorized individuals may access secure systems and databases.
- Active files are kept in locked filing cabinets.
- Routers and servers connected to the Internet are protected by a firewall, and are further protected by virus attacks or “snooping” by sufficient software solutions.
- Personal information is not transferred to volunteers, summer students, interns, or other non-paid staff by e-mail or any other electronic format.
information practices. Individuals inputting data into the Web site will be notified of:
- Personally identifiable information about the individual that is collected from the Web site or through affiliate sites.
- Information about the organization collecting the data.
- How the data will be used.
- With whom the data may or may not be disclosed.
- What options are available to the individual regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information?
- The information technology security procedures in place that protect against the destruction, loss, theft, alteration, or misuse of personal information under RiverCity Safety possession and control.
- How the individual may access and correct any inaccuracies in their personal information
- RiverCity Safety does not collect personally identifiable information from any individual known to be under the age of 8, which is the minimum age to write the Transport Canada Boating Safety Test and receive a Pleasure Craft Operator Card.
- RiverCity Safety may share compiled demographic information with its business partners and/or advertisers, but no personal information that can identify any individual person shall be disclosed.
- This Web site may contain links to other sites, but RiverCity Safety is not responsible for the privacy practices of other organizations’ sites.
- While IP addresses will be logged in order to administer the site, track visitor movement, and gather demographic information, these IP addresses will not be linked to any personally identifiable information.
- Any registration or order form asking site visitors to enter personal or financial information will be protected by SSL encryption.
- Site visitors are given the choice to opt out of having their personal information used at the point where the information is gathered.
- In most instances, RiverCity Safety will grant individuals access to their personal information upon presentation of a written request and satisfactory identification. If an individual finds errors of fact with his/her personal information, please notify RiverCity Safety as soon as possible to make the appropriate corrections. Should RiverCity Safety deny an individual’s request for access to his/her personal information, RiverCity Safety will advise in writing of the reason for such a refusal. The individual may then challenge the decision.
- RiverCity Safety may use personal information without the individual’s consent under
particular circumstances. These situations include, but are not limited to:
- RiverCity Safety is under obligation by law to disclose personal information in order to adhere to the requirements of an investigation of the contravention of a regional or federal, under the purview of the appropriate authorities.
- An emergency exists that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security.
- The personal information is for in-house statistical study or research
- The personal information is already publicly available.
- Disclosure is required to investigate a breach of contract